Toddler Potty Training

by - 22:24

Hi Guys!
I've been meaning to write this blog post for a while now, but to be quite honest.. I just didn't have the energy.

A lot of new mummies out there might be wondering.. ''how do I know if my child is ready for potty training?''. I was the same, I had no clue. It's funny though, because you most likely will know when they are ready. That's what everybody kept telling me but obviously, that's not really an answer, is it? I'm sorry.. but I don't have an answer either. Like I said, you will probably know when he or she is ready.

William had been ready for a while, but potty training is just one of them things you put away and put away until it's necessary. Well, that's what I did anyway, ha ha.
William's been telling me when he nedded his nappy changed or he used to bring a nappy and he sometimes pulled funny faces when he was peeing. All that, to me, were signs that he was ready and I was right.
I think the reason I was putting it off so much was because he used to be petrified of peeing or pooing with no nappy on. He would poo poo or pee pee and if he had no nappy on he would be screaming and cuddling in because he was so petrified. This is quite understandable though, especially with poo poo, because when they have a nappy on they can obviously 'feel it coming out' (ha ha), whereas when there's no nappy, it must feel a lot different to them.

Anyway (before I start getting too excited with the keyboard, ha ha).. one week I decided I was going to potty train him. I knew I was going to put at least a whole week aside so all I could do was potty train him and not give him. William goes to visit his granny, granda and his auntie on Monday night and comes back on a Tuesday, so I thought it would only make sense to start potty training him on the Wednesday, which gave me up until Monday for him to get used to it a little, then it wouldn't be as bad when he's having a sleepover, if that makes sense.

I didn't use pull up nappies, I just used toddler pants. I'm sure pull up nappies can work great for other kids and they're great for when you're out and about but aren't comfortable to take your child out the house with just panties on, but, to William, the pull up nappies were just like a normal nappy, because they do still absorb pee pee. 

I had a lot of panties for him. I bought them months in advance, because, like I said, I knew he was ready.. I'm just a big chicken, ha ha. 
The first day was horrible! He screamed when pee pee was coming out, I had to change his panties every two minutes.. I think I spent the whole day sitting next to his potty BUT I din't give in and I was so proud of myself, ha ha.
The next day was SO much easier, it's unbelievable. He went through less than half the panties that he had used the day before that, which was great and he didn't spend the whole day sitting on the potty. He knew when he needed the potty as he would tell me, but he always dribbled a little so I had to get a clean pair of panties. It's now been 3-4 weeks and he doesn't even dribble when he has panties on and he knows when he needs the potty and he uses it. It's amazing. 


I started a chart for William. I had these charts in the house and forgot about the so I started using these the day after I started potty training William. He would get a sticker for every time he did a pee pee. I don't mean just a dribble.. I mean a full on pee pee :) As you can see on the chart he made steady progress with his pee pee. He's only pooped in the potty twice (I think) in the whole 3-4 weeks. I think he's still a little uncomfortable with the feeling and he must hold it in until night time, when he gets a nappy on or when we go out a walk, which is when I put a nappy on him too. 


I'm not really sure what else to say. If you have any questions at all, just leave a comment and I will definitely answer them. I'm just so glad that I started the whole potty training.

Potty training luck from Me to You,
Love, Daria xoxo

You May Also Like

0 comments